Cayman: 5 things you need to know about the COVID-19 test results
The Public Health Department have confirmed the results from the latest round of coronavirus testing. Of the 40 individuals awaiting test results, 2 have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, while 38 results came back negative. These tests are the first batches to be completed on-island since the necessary testing equipment arrived on Friday, 13 March 2020.
The following information has been gathered from press briefings, statements from Health City and press releases from the Cayman Islands Government.
- A total of 60 test results have come back to date with 65 tested in total. 20 were returned negative on March 17; 38 returned negative today, March 19 and two returned positive today.
- The two individuals who tested positive were Health City staff members who came into direct contact with a visitor who tested positive for COVID-19.
- All individuals tested were isolated since displaying symptoms last week. Their direct contacts were also isolated.
- Thirty of the tests included Health City staff members, their families and any other individuals who were considered to be in direct risk. This means out of these thirty tests, two would have been positive.
- The first batch of tests that were returned negative included 19 from Health City and 1 from HSA. Of the tests that came back today, 29 were from HSA (negative) and 11 were from Health City (9 negative, 2 positive).