International Men's Day 2019: See Cayman's list of activities
The Family Resource Centre is looking forward to hosting a series of interactive activities to mark International Men’s Day (IMD) tomorrow (Nov 19).
The objective of IMD is to focus on men’s and boy’s health, improve gender relations, promote gender equality and highlight positive male role models. The annual observance is an occasion to highlight the positive value men bring to the world, their families and communities; and their positive contributions to society.
“In an increasingly complex and demanding world, IMD looks to foster and provide opportunities for males of all ages to discuss issues of mutual interest in safe and non-judgmental ways,” said the Minister of Health, Environment, Culture & Housing, Hon. Dwayne Seymour.
“The FRC’s events to mark the observance are designed to appeal to the widest possible number of males."
This year’s International Men’s Day theme is “Men Leading by Example".
“The Family Resource Centre has a strong commitment to inclusiveness. We are looking forward to celebrating International Men’s Day on Tuesday, and throughout the rest of November, by involving men and boys in activities that help create positive interactions,” said FRC’s Programme Coordinator, Charmaine Miller.
The IMD 2019 calendar of events is as follows:
- “Men’s Voice” Film private screenings - the locally-produced documentary focuses on highlighting positive male role models and discussing the issues and challenges men face. “Men’s Voice” explores themes that discuss the socialisation of men, men’s health, family, cultural influences highlighting opportunities for actionable change. Local organisations and supporters are encouraged to host a viewing within their organisation during November to discuss the important issues raised in the film.
- IMD Roundtable Discussion – airing live on Radio Cayman Tuesday, November 19 at 1 pm - the broadcast will include men from various spheres of influence, raising awareness of gender-related issues men and boys face.
- Social Media Engagement – visit FRC’s Facebook page for a chance to nominate positive male role models, who lead by example in the family, school, workplace or community.
- Men’s Shed Workshop - Saturday, November 23, A.L. Thompsons, 9 am - 11 am - an opportunity for men and boys to interact, the goal of the event is to provide a safe, friendly and inclusive environment where participants can gather and/or work on meaningful projects at their own pace & in their own time.
- Men & Boys Basketball Tournament - Saturday, November 30, John Gray High School Gymnasium, 11 am – an intergenerational basketball tournament, where men and boys will play on the same teams. The event will encourage camaraderie, fun and healthy interaction. Booths of agencies supporting men’s well-being will also be on display to further raise awareness of the importance of men wellness.
To learn more about this year’s IMD events and to sign up for the Men’s Shed Workshop and Men & Boys Basketball Tournament, contact the FRC at 949-0006, or visit www.frc.ky