2021 Commonwealth Short Story Prize open for submissions
Photo via iStock.
Members of the Commonwealth are invited to submit their entries for the 2021 Commonwealth Short Story Prize.
The Commonwealth Short Story Prize is awarded for the best piece of unpublished short fiction (2,000–5,000 words).
Regional winners each receive £2,500 and the opportunity to be published online by Granta magazine, and the overall winner receives £5,000.
The competition is free to enter and open to any citizen of a Commonwealth country who is aged 18 and over.
The 2021 Commonwealth Short Story Prize is open for online entries until 1 November 2020.
Please read the rules below and enter your story via the online entry form.
(For any entry or eligibility queries not covered below, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for clarification before submitting an entry.)
- Opening date: 1 September 2020
- Entries must be submitted via the online entry form at: www.commonwealthwriters.org
- Entries must be submitted via the online entry form by 1 November 2020 (11.59pm in any time zone). No entries will be considered if submitted after this date.
- Entrants must be citizens of a Commonwealth country or stateless persons currently residing in a Commonwealth country.
- The Commonwealth Foundation will request verification of citizenship status before winners are selected. Entries from citizens of non-Commonwealth countries are not eligible.
- For regional purposes, entries will be judged by country of citizenship. Where the writer has dual citizenship (of two Commonwealth countries), the entry will be judged in the region where the writer is permanently resident.
- There is no requirement for the writer to have current residence in a Commonwealth country, providing that they are a citizen of a Commonwealth country.
- Entrants must be aged 18 years or over on 1 November 2020.
- Entries must be unpublished and remain unpublished in any language until 1 May 2021.
- Only one entry per writer may be submitted for the Commonwealth Short Story Prize - the story must be the entrant’s own work. The story must be original work and should not have been published anywhere, in full or in part, in any language, before 1 May 2021.
- Entries must be 2,000 words minimum, 5,000 words maximum (not including title). Entries should be uploaded in a PDF document. Please save your document as a PDF and use the title of the story as the file name.
For any questions about eligibility or rules, please contact email@example.com
For more information see here: https://bit.ly/3hmDQng