Cooking During COVID 19: Homegrown Green Banana Salad
“Come Mr. tally man, tall mi banana, daylight come an mi waan go home!” Those are the words of the song made famous by Harry Belafonte. Every time I hear it I think of…you guessed it, bananas.
Coronavirus has turned ordinary folks into kitchen wizards who are whipping up culinary masterpieces like never before. But did you know that there is no better time than now to take a stand and cook strictly local?
All over the world, supply chains are getting cut, borders are closing and countries, like ours, are experiencing the fallout on our supermarket shelves. And with hurricane season around the corner, we are more vulnerable than ever before.
Local and simple is the fad of the day with salads and one-pot dishes that are not only easy to make but also affordable and most importantly, homegrown.
Speaking of salads, you can admit it, the first thing you thought of was leafy greens and dried nuts. Well then… may I introduce you to a green banana salad? Green bananas, also referred to as figs and guineos, contain Fiber, Potassium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Copper and Manganese and what’s more, they grow abundantly in the Caribbean.
Whether ripe or green, bananas are versatile, affordable and are a good source of nutrients. The following recipe is a breeze AND a bellyful.
Green banana salad w/ Tumeric Ginger Aoli
8 green bananas
1/2 cup freshly diced carrots
1/2 cup freshly diced string beans
1/2 cup freshly cut sweet corn
1/8 cup diced onions white or purple
1/8 cup diced sweet peppers
2 tsp white/black pepper
1 tsp complete seasoning
1 cup turmeric aioli (recipe below)
1 cup minced saltfish
1. Wash and slit bananas in the main vein(back of the bananas)
2. Place to boil in skin, this will help the bananas to absorb the iron from the skin.
3. Wash and place salt fish to boil to remove excess salt
4. Wash vegetables and diced to make mix vegetables.
5. Wash and diced sweet peppers and onion.
6. Remove cooked bananas from flame cool and place under running cold water.
7. Dice and place bananas to cool.
8. Remove salt fish from flame cool and mince
9. Combine all ingredients in a bowl except aioli and mix together, when combined,add aioli and mix.
10. Place in serve container on a bed of lettuce, garnish with red sweet peppers and serve.
Turmeric ginger aioli
2 egg yolks
2 cloves garlic grated
2 tsp grated turmeric
3 tsp turmeric liquid
2 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp zest of lemon
1 lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 cup olive oil
Combine all ingredients. Eat!