Friday 3 July, 2020

Only active construction projects to begin work on Tuesday

The next phase of re-opening in the Cayman Islands, phase 3, will occur in a phased approach beginning on Tuesday, given that Monday is a public holiday.

The Construction sector, home depots and garages will return to work over the next few weeks. This will bring those returning to work over the next few weeks to a total of between 8000-9000 persons.

The opening of hardware stores and home depots to support the construction sector will require that customers will have to go into enclosed spaces, which is a concern. 

Opening of the construction sector will happen in a staged way. This is due to the fact that there are over 1,900 construction entities registered locally and the government intends to test construction workers before they return to work.

As a result of these large numbers, active permits and projects that are in progress will be the first to go back to work. The first of these will be active projects (150-plus), which will begin on Tuesday, upon completion of COVID-19 testing on workers. 

“We are not where we need to be,” said the Premier of efforts to test all construction workers.

In the next stage, construction projects with active permits will be able to operate. By this time enough tests would have been administered. 

Fishing, beach access and Sunday lockdowns are being reconsidered.

More information is expected on Friday.

So far there is no country in the world that has opened that hasn’t had to “back up” said the premier.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: