Sunday 25 October, 2020

Three more seniors die of COVID-19 in Jamaica; 139 new cases

Three more COVID-19 deaths have been confirmed by the Ministry of Health and Wellness over the last 24 hours into Wednesday afternoon.

Two of the deaths were said to have been previously under investigation and are now classified as COVID-19 related.

The deceased are an 82-year-old male from Clarendon; a 75-year-old female from St Catherine, and a 65-year-old male from the Corporate Area.

All three cases involved comorbidities, namely diabetes and hypertension.

The three deaths brought to 27 the total number of COVID-19-related deaths in Jamaica.

One other death remains under investigation.

Within the same 24-hour period, the country recorded 139 new confirmed COVID-19 cases. These bring the total number of cases on record for the island to 2,822.

Recoveries also increased by two, bringing the total number of persons who have recovered and have been released to 900 (a 31.9 per cent recovery rate).

The country is now managing 1,822 (64.6 per) active cases, including 11 moderately ill patients and seven critically ill patients.

Some 71 cases which were recorded in Jamaica have returned to their countries of origin.

Of the newly confirmed cases, there are 71 females and 68 males, with ages ranging from one year to 97 years. The cases were recorded in Kingston and St Andrew (44), St Catherine (44), St Thomas (19), Manchester (13), St. Ann (six), St Mary (four), Portland (four), St James (3), Trelawny (one) and Clarendon (one).

Seven of the new cases are contacts of confirmed cases, while the remaining 132 cases are under investigation.

Jamaica now has 457 imported cases; 657 cases that are contacts of confirmed cases; 242 local transmission cases not epidemiologically linked; 236 cases related to the workplace cluster in St Catherine, and 1,230 cases are under investigation.

Females account for 55 per cent (1,551) of all the confirmed cases, while the remaining 45 per cent (1,269) are males. They range in age from 13 days to 97 years.

The sex classification of two cases are currently being investigation.

Members of the public are advised to be vigilant in the practice of infection prevention and control measures to guard against the spread of COVID-19, including the frequent washing of hands with soap and water; maintaining the prescribed six-foot physical distance from others; and wearing a mask when in public.

Visitors and returning residents are reminded that they must comply with quarantine orders.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: